Edsel Thruston Family Scholarship Award
The Thruston Scholarship Award is reserved for members of the Rowan Family. The award is in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500.00) per year beginning August 2017and concluding when funds are depleted. The President of the Rowan Reunion established a committee whose charge is to select a recipient for the annual scholarship that meets specific requirements.
Requirements for the Thruston Scholarship Award
· Applicant must have attended at least one Rowan Family Reunion
· Applicant must be a high school graduate or obtained a GED
· Applicant(s) that graduated from high school must include an official copy of their transcript. If a GED was obtained, the individual must include an official copy of their certificate and scores
· Applicant must have a minimum GPA of 2.4
· Applicant must show evidence of acceptance and/or admission to any post secondary educational institution
· Applicant is required to write a letter to the Rowan Family Reunion stating why he/she should be selected as the recipient of this scholarship. The letter should include career ambitions, awards or special recognition, church, civic, and community involvement, and a statement of why family is important. The letter should be typed, doubled-spaced, and limited to two pages
· Applicant must submit all information to Phyllis Dowe no later than July 31, 2017.
Committee’s Selection Process
The committee will select a point person that will ensure all information is received from applicant(s). In the event several applications are received, special consideration will be given to GPA, letter of why they should be selected as the recipient, and participation in Church and the Rowan Family Reunion.
In the event of a tie, it will be the responsibility of the committee to determine the recipient. If the committee is unable to decide between two applicants, the scholarship funds can be divided. The committee has the latitude to allow special considerations to the specified requirements for applicant submission. The Scholarship Award is designed to assist an individual who will be attending a post secondary institution for the first time. If no applications are received, the committee could award a previous recipient who has achieved at least a 2.4 GPA during their first year. As a third option, the committee could select an individual who has completed one year of post secondary training and is in good academic standing. Good academic standing is considered a 2.4 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale. If no one is selected, funds not awarded will remain in the Thruston scholarship fund for future use. If there are no applicants for the 2017 Thruston award, non winning applicants for the 2016 JRC award will be considered with no resubmission required.
The Thruston Scholarship Award is to be presented at the Rowan Reunion Banquet/Business meeting. The recipient is expected to be in attendance. If the recipient is unable to attend, an immediate family member can accept the award. The check may be given to the recipient, a family member, or sent directly to the institution.
If the recipient is unable to attend school during the fall semester/term as indicated on their application, the award must be returned as soon as possible. The committee could make a recommendation, to the president, to award the scholarship to another candidate that met all requirements.